Books / AWS in Bullet Points - Exam Prep Study Notes / Chapter 0
AWS Bullet Points - Exam Preparation
This book contains study notes for different AWS exams.
- Most questions are scenario based
- First rule out answers you know for sure are wrong
- Remaining answers: Understand which one makes the most sense.
- No penalty for guessing
- Don’t over-think it
- If solution seems feasible but highly complicated, it’s probably wrong.
- You can come back to questions with flag feature
- For learning services more, read each service’s FAQ
- Cover a lot of the questions asked in the exam
- If AWS provides a service/functionality within service => Use it instead of creating a bespoke service.
- 65 questions will be asked in 130 minutes
- 2 minutes per question
- Reliable/resilient storage = EBS, EFS, S3
- For EBS
- Small, random = SSD
- Large, sequential = HDD
- For EBS
- Durable = S3
- Low latency access = EBS
- Reproducible = Spot instance, S3 one zone IA
- Decoupling = SQS, SNS
- Only once = SQS FIFO or SWF
- Multi-tier architecture: ELB, ASG, EC2
- High availability/fault tolerant =
- Horizontal scaling, vertical scaling
- ASG that span over many AZ (sent to ELB)
- DynamoDB (HA by default)
- RDS (multi-AZ needs to be enabled)
- Availability = Sync replication, Scalability = async
- Performant storage and databases =
- 💡GP2, IO1 for EBS
- 💡EFS, S3
- Caching = ElastiCache, CloudFront, API Gateway, DAX for DynamoDB
- Multi-region=Stack Set
- Elasticity and scalability = ASG, Lambda, CloudWatch for alarms
- Enhanced monitoring: Metrics within hyper-visor from RDS
- Detailed monitoring: Send metrics in 1m interval instead of 5.
- Secure application tiers = Security groups
- Secure data = KMS, Encryption
- Cost optimized storage = S3, Pay for what you use, life-cycle rules to move data to cheaper, glacier for long time.
- Cost optimized compute = Lambda, pay for what you use, reserve long time instances, Spot Instances for short fault tolerant jobs
- Licensing problems = Microsoft + Oracle e.g. BYOB=Dedicated host
- Operational excellence = Serverless
- Reference architectures resources for real-world